Friday, March 31, 2006

Do You Know Which Authors to Look For that Make Money on eBay?

Today, on my eBay_Establishings discussion list, a person asked for a general list of collectible children's books author names to look for to resale. Whew, I don't think they realized what a huge task it would be to type it all out. So, I just gave them a general answer that took about twenty minutes. For a better answer, I do offer a file of 300 book titles that took me a few days to collate after three years of research.

Anyhow, here is how I answered:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Mavis~
Well, always do a completed auction title search on books for , oh say, $30 and over. You can customize your search page to whittle down all the junk book lots that will appear.

As for authors, boy, there are so many, but not all these names'titles are collectible. Names we often pick up and sell would be limited because again, reprints and such devalue books. It is all about knowledge and research.

Illustrators and authors to look for:
Lois Lenski
Tasha Tudor
Paul Brown
Joan Walsh Anglund
Wesley Dennis
Sven Nordqvist
Marguerite Henry
Mariana
Maud Hart Lovelace
Helen Bannerman
Edna Miller
Evelyn Lampman
Jim Kjelgaard
Robb White
Dare Wright
John Denver
Walter Farley (old hardback editions)


Old editions:
Frank Baum (he has a bunch of pen names to look for, also)
WW Denslow
Ruth Plumley Thompson
John Neill
Donahey
Harrison Cady
Winsor McCay
Lucy Fitch Perkins
Elizabeth Upham
Helen Sewell
Walter Crane
Mabel Lucie Atwell
Jessie Willcox Smith

Well, that's off the top of my head. There are so many more, and in particular title names to look for. The lovely thing about children's books as a starting point is hardly any dealers go scopping up books in the children's section of the used library book sales. They do come along but usually I have the tables to myself for a good twenty minutes. Of course, when you are educated you won't get nervous anyhow.

My Dh and I were talking yesterday about the lack of knowledge out there. There are so many booksellers who have been selling for years, but still leave an adequate amount of $50-$70 books behind when I go through the tables after them.

I have a newsletter with a give-away that will help you and I have a monthly subscription list of books that teaches you exactly what to look for. Take a look, and get educated!
http://www.familybusinessideas.com/ebaylinksubscription.html

Julie Anna
http://www.BookJewelsForChildren.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home